Can meditation cause debilitating problems?

The only meditation process I am aware of is to empty the mind in order to bring peace to the body and I am not aware of any debilitating problems.
There are many positions you can get into in meditation and I suppose if you do not have healthy joints, you might find you are stiff after sitting cross legged or in a yoga pose for a long time, but meditation that is practiced to bring peace to the mind is a flexible practice allowing for vast possibilities in the practice so there is no chance of debilitation.
I am a private practitioner, so I do things for myself, geared to my needs. I do not follow any one else’s ideas so I am not familiar with how meditation teachers are doing things.
My practice is very relaxing and simple and it starts with finding a time and a place where you can be completely alone and feel safe, wearing comfortable clothes and choosing a comfortable position preferably where you are sitting or lying down.
Soft music can be used if this helps you to relax, or you may choose to listen to tapes of sounds that you find comforting such as ocean waves, the wind, birds, or bells.
Breathing always begins the practice because I find it a helpful exercise to focus on and if you practice breathing deeply, fully and slowly you will find that this exercise alone calms you.
Once calm, you can close your eyes if this pleases you. (I close mine) and you continue to experience your breathing as you let your mind empty, allowing all your thoughts to come and go at will without engaging them.
This is my practice and I have not experienced anything debilitating in it. I find it restful, peaceful, relaxing and refreshing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do you stop seeing ghosts?

Why has neuroscience not settled the question of free will?

Is Divinity a gift or that which is already within you?